If you've been around the world of nails lately, you know that shattered glass nails are still going strong! Even amongst the sea of chrome and unicorn holo, I still see shattered glass effects being incorporated into manicures.
The basic idea of shattered glass nails involves putting shards of iridescent cellophane, origami paper, or reflective tape on your nail to create a unique and eye catching glass look. Here's a slightly different look that I did with the style!
Here's how to get the look for yourself in gel:
- Use a star-shaped hole punch to punch stars out of hula hoop tape
- Apply gel base coat, cure
- Apply gel color coat(s), cure. Remove tacky layer with isopropyl alcohol.
- Peel off the backing from the stars and stick them firmly onto your manicure
- Apply a coat of gel topcoat or structure gel over the stars, cure
- If needed, buff the surface of your nails lightly to smooth out any rough edges
- Apply a final coat of gel topcoat, cure, cleanse
My biggest tip for you on these is to prep your stars before you start doing anything else. That is not a task you want to be doing with wet polish or sticky-halfway-done-gels. I used hula hooping tape from HoopSupplies.com, and hole punched out the shapes with a star shaped hole punch from Michael's. While I was at it, I prepped a bunch of them and stored them in an empty nail art pot.
Since the tape is so awesomely iridescent, it was tough to photograph! I had good success capturing the real effect of the stars with my iPhone in the photo above.
What do you think? Have you tried this trend? Is this a look you would wear?