I would have done all my nails but just these two took FOR-EV-ER to do, since I placed each piece of glitter individually. Here are the pots of loose glitter that I used for this. I got them in a set of 12 on eBay for a few bucks.
I started by painting the nails black. Then I applied a thin horizontal stripe of clear nail polish for the glitter to stick on to and attached each piece individually, row by row.
I used a dotting tool dipped in water to pick up and apply each piece.
I did topcoat these nails to give them a smooth texture and to keep the glitter from coming off, but it unfortunately created a bunch of tiny bubbles! SO ANNOYING! Oh well. You really can't see them in person but of course macro photography is the revealer of all mistakes.
I cannot stop staring at these glitter scales. Or maybe we should call them glitter armor. Or disco ball nails. Or "a pain in the butt." ;)
Check out last year's glitter nails here, and check out the challenge prompts here!